People are always asking me what the best supplements are and what they can do/take to help burn fat quickly. My answer is the same every time, but I am going to break it down for you here. When looking for a good fat burner, you need to consider a few things: your budget, where to get them, and how long the supplement will affect your system. The best answers are often the most simple ones.
Top fat burners:
1) Strength Training. This fat burner can last up to 36 hours or more. You can get this in a gym. No, I’m not talking about doing a set of 15-20 reps to “tone.” When lifting weights, if you want to “tone,” shoot for 6-12 reps – not with just any weight either. If you can’t hit six, it’s too heavy. If you hit 12, it’s too light. After each set, rest for 30-60 seconds and repeat. I suggest doing this 3-4 times. Do you feel that burning sensation? GOOD! (Unless you’re peeing.) If you’re new to weight lifting, follow my fitness trainer page or look for a trainer, but read this first!
2) Water. Water has countless benefits. Stop with the “half your body weight in ounces” stuff. Drink up to a gallon, but no less than three liters per day. Drink only water and nothing else–except maybe green tea or a black coffee in the morning (sans sugar, please). After a few days, you’ll notice that you’re down anywhere between 3-10 pounds. That is water weight you lost (trust me, your “haters” will be sure to remind you of that), but it’s a good thing. That’s your body ridding itself of excess water. Keep up the water intake and that weight won’t come back.
3) Breakfast. They say it’s the most important meal of the day. I don’t know who “they” are, but “they” are right. In fact, when people ask for my nutrition advice, I won’t even talk to them until they start eating breakfast. You can combine #2 and #3 in the morning and you are well on your way.
4) Sleep. I’ll keep my geeky science out of it, but sleeping reduces stress hormones and increases growth hormones. The adult body needs 7-9 hours of sleep per night – get this and get better results. I’ll leave it at that so you don’t fall asleep while reading this, but trust me on this.
5) Eating any vegetable in the world over anything containing grain or wheat. There’s no better way to get your fiber than through vegetables. Also, veggies are a GREAT source of natural carbs. People have an addiction to bread and pasta. Replacing these foods with vegetables will drastically lower your carb count. Increasing your vegetable intake while decreasing your intake of refined carbs will also give you much more energy throughout the day. Before you say, “Hey Mike, eating healthy is hard and expensive!”, go to a Produce Junction, a farmers market, or a corner store and get back to me.
This is a quick list, but it’s amazingly effective. There is no such thing as a magic pill to make you skinny – and there are certainly no pills or shakes or supplements that are going to make you completely healthy. Healthy is a lifestyle – and it doesn’t have to be a boring one either. For exercise tips, healthy (but tasty) recipes, and witty trainer humor, follow my page.