Dammit, Chloe, you know there’s spoilers below!
24 has a certain sweet spot of action and absurdity that only it is capable of hitting. When Homeland started veering into that territory, it felt wrong. Come to think of it, Homeland is all about vengeance for drone warfare too. But that doesn’t have Jack Bauer running through London yelling, “dammit” while being chased by a hijacked super stealth drone.
That’s exactly what happened on this week’s 24, and it was delightful. Yeah, that’s right, DELIGHTFUL. To recap where we are at this point in the season:
- Jack Bauer has magically worked his way into being the President’s number one go to guy again despite being one of the most wanted men in the world.
- Some Russian dude with a crazy mustache knows about Jack and is pressuring chief of staff Mark Boudreau to hand Jack over.
- President Heller’s Alzheimer’s is getting worse and worse. His sweater really gives him that adorable grandpa look so you feel extra bad for him.
- The fucking head of the CIA’s London branch is this season’s mole. Not like this Benjamin Bratt.
- Michelle Fairley might be playing a fiery mother again, but this one isn’t quite as dedicated to her children. Margot Al-Harazi has cut off her daughter’s finger AND ordered a drone strike on her. Did I mention the drone strike was aimed at a busy hospital? That’s some Joker level shit, Margo. STONE COLD.
- It looks like Heller is actually going to turn himself over to Al-Harazi, since he was going to resign anyway due to his Alzheimer’s. Let’s get this straight. The President of the United States of America is going to turn himself over to a terrorist to protect the people of London from hijacked U.S. military drones. Yuuuuuup.
24 just scratches that action junkie itch in me. I really did miss it. I stated after the first episode that this felt like classic 24 (AKA pre season 6), and it’s held up. I’m enjoying the show as much as I ever have. The shorter run has effectively trimmed down on the fatty storylines as a number of people expected it would.
Let’s take a moment to praise Michelle Fairley. The cast has been solid this year, but she’s stood out. Her tone is perfect for a sinister Brit. She might not have the most inspirational setup for a villain, but she’s still killing it. I’m not really surprised. She was always good as Catelyn Stark on Game of Thrones, especially in that infamous episode. You know which one I’m referring to. You’ve got red on you.
There’s only a few hours left, so let’s speculate on what can still happen. My prediction? Margo’s about to kill Heller and Jack but then the Russians come in on a hover tank and blow her up. As the Russians are about to take Jack, Zombie Reagan rises up to defend him. But wait, who’s that? It’s Zombie Gorbachev! And they fight to the death or something. It writes itself.